Creative Inspiration

on Monday, January 31, 2011
Matt and I spent the day in Montevideo on Saturday.  It was our annual pilgrimage there for the sub-section one-act play contest.  We go to support the Renville kids and just generally have a good time.  This year there were six plays produced.  And even though Renville didn't go on, they did a wonderful job.  Their play, "Loonies and Snatchers," had the most energy and was incredibly hilarious.  The co-directors, whom we know through the school channels, did a wonderful job with these young upstart actors.  Most of the kids in the play were found in seventh grade, three years ago.  Now Diane, one of the directors, would like to produce a play that would highlight two of their boys.  She mentioned that as kind of a one-off comment, as though it just won't be able to happen...And that started my mind going.

On the way back to Matt's folks' place, I thought, why can't it happen?  And now an idea is forming.  Can I write a play that would be of competition quality?  I don't know, but I'm sure going to find out.  First though, I have some research to do.  I'm going to pull from Greek/Roman mythology for this one, and have maybe up to three principal characters, and then any number can be in the chorus, which will provide other characters and scenery as needed.  One-act is really a minimalist type of production.  I'm excited to see if this will turn out.  And if it does, I'll present it to Diane in September.  That gives me plenty of time to fine tune the script.

I have a feeling the script is going to be the easy part.  The directors will have the tough part of producing it.  The actors will have the tough part of becoming the characters.

Oh how fun this is going to be!

2 comments:

ezaske said...

Okay, scrap the Greek Mythology idea...New idea heading in American Tall Tales.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Beth, I'm clapping my hands for you! I'm at the polishing up stages of my full-length play and I've scheduled a read-through for Feb. 19. Do you and Matt want to come? I'm serious. You could stay at my house.
Write on!