Explaining Exorcism

on Thursday, October 27, 2011
Why don't I actually monitor my mouth when Kirstin is around?

Again I had to explain a word to her that gave me difficulty.

I was getting the dishes ready to go, and commented to Matt that our sink might need an exorcism.  It was just yucky dirty.  It happens.  And Kirstin overheard it.  Then came the following conversation:

Kirstin: The sink needs an exorcism?
Me: Yes.  It's really icky.
Kirstin: Oh, okay.
Me: walking out of the kitchen so Kirstin won't see me laughing.  Innocently using the word exorcism was hilarious to me, at that point. I come back in.
Kirstin: So, an exorcism is when the sink needs help and you fill it with water?
Me: Umm...No, it's not that.  Uh...(good for her on trying to figure it out according to what was going on!)
Kirstin:  It's not?  Then what is an exorcism?
Me: Well...Umm...Hmm..  (trying to find a way to explain this. Crap, why did I use that word?) 
An exorcism is when something is really dirty and has to be cleaned up really well. 
Kirstin: Oh, so the sink was really dirty then?
Me: Yes. It was.
Kirstin: Oh, it's good you gave it an exorcism then. 

And I got my way out of that without explaining demon possession, religious things, or any of that.  I explained to her what an exorcism is in the context in which it was used.  WHEW!

0 comments: