Farm Fest

on Thursday, August 07, 2008
Well, here's the second post. Matt and I went to Farmfest yesterday and had a really good time. At least I did. Matt had to work at the U of M booth this year. Matt got there early, around 8:00, and Kirstin and I rode in with Bill. I wandered around for a bit with Kirstin, Bill and Ma, and then they had to leave so they could get some lunch and Bill could get back home to do some combining. They brought Kirstin with them. This was kind of a test to see how she'd do in the stroller again. We rarely use it for her anymore, but we're going on vacation soon, so it was a good thing we had her in it. She had to get out and walk every now and then, but she was also okay in the stroller. She just had enough of the heat and all the people, so she went back to Grandma and Grandpa's house. I actually got to walk through the show site without having to hold on for Matt or hurrying up for him. That was really strange. Usually we walk it all together. I got to see what I wanted to see on my own time. I got some literature on a few things, at some food, and bought a wooden rose.

Yes, you read that right. It was a wooden rose. I bought one for Ma too. They were relatively cheap. Mine is blue and Ma's is red. They had some oils there that you could use to scent them, but I figured I could buy some scented oils at Walmart cheaper. You just drop the oil in the center, and you have a nice smelling, never dying rose.

The only bad thing about Farm fest was that I forgot to put sunscreen on my face. That was an oops, but at least I remembered my arms and legs this time. I look rather lobster like right now, but it should heal without a problem.

Last night Matt talked with John about getting us a ground source heat pump. Most of that goes over my head, but I do think it would be a really good thing for our house. But because of that conversation, we didn't get on the road until 10:30 or so. We didn't get back home till after 12:30 a.m. Kirstin slept in the car, which I expected. I did alright until just between Morris and Donnelly. Then I started nodding off. I just couldn't help myself. I feel bad for Matt who had to get up early this morning to work, and then he's staying later tonight to make up the hour he missed yesterday. He'll be staying late again tomorrow, so he doesn't have to stay late on Thurs, when we leave for Renville right before going on vacation.

Otherwise, I've been drawing up chicken coop plans on graph paper. I already know what kinds of chickens I'd like to get. I'd like 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 New Hampshire Reds. I think that would be enough, but it's tough to find places that will deliver only four chicks without charging an arm and a leg. Maybe I'll have to get more of a different breed an then get them slaughtered for meat. Or maybe a neighbor would like some more. I won't be getting any for quite a while yet. I still have to figure the costs of feed and fencing and all that jazz. It will be interesting though. Well, that's all I can think of for now, aside from Kirstin telling Grandma Ma, "Monkey!" when she wanted to be held. We're still trying to figure out that one.

0 comments: