Forays into femininity

on Wednesday, May 25, 2011
How to find one's feminine side?

That's a question I've been pondering.

I've been working on a dress for myself for once.  It's yellow.  It's nice.  And I screwed it up royally, but it's still fixable.  I cut into the skirt while trimming a seam.  Still not happy about it, but it's workable.  So that didn't work out the way I thought it would.

So what else could I do find my feminine side?

We're heading out of town this weekend.  We're going to stay in a hotel with a pool, and Kirstin just got a new swimsuit.  Matt doesn't do pools and the like, so I'm going to have to be the one to go with her.

Cue hair removal.

I'm a shaver.  It works well and I'm comfortable with it.  But there's always a little bit of hair around the bikini line that I can never get.  Hmm...So the last time we went shopping I found an at home waxing kit.

And no, I did NOT do my bikini area.  Yet.  I thought to be safe I'd try it in the arm pits first.

Tonight was the perfect evening to try my new hair removal system.  Matt is at opening night for his play, and Kirstin is there along with Grandpa and Grandma.  It's just Emily and me at home.  Emily isn't as likely to remember any fun words I may use.

We had supper, I cleaned up, and then I got out the wax stuff, read the directions.  Then I reread the directions, and read them one more time.

Into the microwave it went, and "spreadable" consistency was achieved.

Alright, this shouldn't be too difficult.  Except for...

What they don't put on the box.

They don't tell you that this stuff is so sticky it could glue your grandmother to the ceiling.  And it gets EVERYWHERE!  So working with sticky fingers, and trying to not get wax all over the place, I apply it to my underarm.  Then I wrestle to get one of the papers free (should have done that right away, before touching the wax), and put it over the applied wax.  I tamp it down and pull.

And there was slight pain, but nothing too horrid.  And no hair removed.  What the heck?

There's wax on the paper still, so I apply it to my other underarm.  Pat it down and pull...

OUCH!  But still, not too bad.  This time some hair came out.  Huh.  Must have used too much wax.  I'll try it again on the otherside without adding any more wax.  EUREKA!  It worked.  Alright.  I can do this.

Until I realize Emily is watching me.  She's raising her arms in the air one at a time and looking to her own little chubby underarms.  And I think to myself: WHAT AM I TEACHING MY DAUGHTER??? (and no more hair is coming out, so I put it off as a bad job anyway).

Is hair other than on your head really that big of a deal?  I think I'll go back to my razor and wear shorts over my swimsuit in the pool.  It's more honest. That and I don't have to grow out the hair so long in order to take care of it.  Just easier all around.   

So instead, tonight I'll work on Kirstin's dress for the weekend.  I made the pattern last night, and I'm going to sew it tonight.  It should go pretty well.  The neat part is that there's enough fabric left over I should be able to make a matching pair of shorts for her to wear underneath for when she's playing.  Sewing is much more soothing than worrying about hair removal any day!

1 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

As you can imagine, I'm dying laughing over here. I could have used that in my script!!! In Europe, women don't usually wax or shave. They just go with what God gave'em. I'm all for that, but my hair is dark and I look like a man. I've started buying the two piece suits with a more shorts stlye bottom to cover up the bad area. If I do get the hair off, it gets all bumpy and razor burn. That's attractive.

Happy sewing!

Wish I could see the play.