Bustin' Out

on Sunday, July 10, 2011
In which the layered look goes wrong; and only Matt and my pastor knew about it.

Being Sunday, and being the pious individuals we are, we got up early and got ready for church.
I already had the girls’ clothes picked out and ready, and I found something for myself to wear as well.  I was doing a layered bit with a tank top underneath a green button down shirt.  My dilemma was whether to include a bra with the ensemble or not, as the tank top had a built in bra.  I decided for more support. 
This particular tank top has adjustable straps, but being well used no longer really stay adjusted.  And I have a fifteen month old monkey to wrangle.

And today was no exception for Emily.  She was all over, getting into everything, trying to crawl under pews, examining the contents of my purse, etc.  My poor tank top couldn’t keep up.  Literally.

Cue communion time.  When it was our turn, we told Kirstin to stay in the pew, and I carried Emily up front with me.   I placed her standing at the rail while I knelt behind her.  Pastor came with the wafers, he handed one to me, and I looked down.

Oh my!
Hello girls!  I shouldn’t be seeing you here.
I left the top button of my shirt unbuttoned to facilitate the layered look, and my tank top was below my breasts.  All that was there was cleavage and bra. Laughing silently (we’re pious, you know, no laughing during communion!), I moved the button down shirt slightly to cover up a little more, while being thankful I had Emily to cover up the rest of me while I was walking back to the pew.  Also being thankful I had included the bra with the outfit instead of relying on the built in bra in the tank top.  That would have been a whole lot more to show.

And of course, when I got back to the pew, I buttoned the top button of my shirt completely, and told Matt what happened.  He too laughed about it.  No one else but Pastor could have known because I had Emily in my arms and covering anything that was going on with my wardrobe.  It wasn’t until church was over that I was able to find a quiet moment to fix the tank top.  I’m thinking it’s about time to retire it if it can’t keep up to the activity. 

And of course I had to laugh about it to our friends, who understand completely the challenges of being properly dressed while wrangling kids.

1 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

That can be a challenge! Way to keep your cool. (thanks for the chuckle)