Birthdays and Cold Feet

on Monday, March 14, 2011

This was taken in May of this last year.  It doesn't reflect how grown up she is now, but does show how pixie-like she is.  My baby is four today!  She's lost a lot of her pudginess and is growing up so fast!  Sometimes I wish life just had a pause button.  It's bad enough that I have to get older, but my kids have to get older too?

Of course, Kirstin finds turning a year older great fun.  And why wouldn't she?  This year we had a party planned for her, but it got postponed due to weather.  Instead Grandpa and Grandma stayed the night at our house and she got her "big gift" from us: a new to her wooden train set, complete with table and storage drawers.  We went against our own advice and got something big, once again.  And because Grandpa and Grandma stayed with us, she got to help pump up their air mattress, and how fun is that!?

And on top of all of that, the next morning we went to church, and Grandpa and Grandma went with us.  After church, instead of Sunday School, she got to have her birthday party with all of her friends and her other set of grandparents too!  Yay!  She got to play games and eat cake and ice cream right after church.

And now she's officially four.  As of six o'clock this morning.  I feel a little old when she says, "And next year I'll be five and can ride the school bus!"  It's been a wonderful four years, and cheers for another wonderful year to come!

Now, on the serious side...

I HATE COLD FEET AT NIGHT!  And no, I'm not talking about Matt's.  I'm talking about my own.  Lately my feet have had their own thermostat or something.  The heat turns off as soon as they hit the sheets.  And those toes get downright icy.  I have an absolutely wonderful husband who allows me to put them on his warm legs and indeed, he'll put his legs over them to help warm them up.  And that's great.  It works, somewhat.  But, then inevitably I'll have to move back to my own side of the bed and once again they get icy.  I even put them under my own legs in an attempt to warm them up.  Nothing seems to work.  Not even a cat sleeping on them works.  Socks don't work either.  I just have to tough it through until they warm up.  Because of course I can't sleep until they do get warm.  I even go through a nightly ritual of "mind over matter" and imagine the heat from the rest of my body flowing down to my feet.  And they still remain rather frigid.  Ugh.

And yet, once I do get to sleep, I wake up and toss the covers off because I'm too warm.  Is there no happy medium?

I will achieve the just right temperature sometime.  I just don't know when.  And until then...TV turned low, captions on, and mixed attempts to regulate...It's all I can do.

0 comments: