Character Sketches

on Friday, September 09, 2011
I took some time this morning to bring the physical view of my characters onto paper.  I’ve got most of them named, except the men.  One man I have down is tall, black hair, black eyes, and tanned.  Not sure of a nationality for him, and I’m not sure these people really even have a nationality or if it’s needed.  This man is the leader of the men.  He plays an integral role in the coming of age ceremony and training of the young men.  He gives them skills to live in the men’s world.  He’s slow to anger but tough on love.  He doesn’t give praise or show much emotion.  It’s odd because aside from Sam, he’s the most real character to me, and yet I can’t name him.  That will come in time.
The other characters I have imagined are all real to me physically, but not so much in personality.  I think I just need to write them and see what happens. 
One obstacle I’m coming across is the question of procreation and accidental incest.   I’m not sure what to do about that or how it all works out.  If the men and women don’t interact aside from procreation…Very unknown right now.  And once again, it will come in time and I think I just need to write. 
And I probably won’t start at the beginning of the story either.  Right now the coming of age ceremony is on my mind and I think I’d like to write that out first.  Skipping around is more my style.  It’ll keep me interested in it longer. 
I am still surprised by the clarity I have for this story, even if there are some questions.  Now, time to write!  Yay!

0 comments: